27 April, 2012

Praising Auditus

There are many reasons I consider Auditus a good friend, but some of you may not be familiar enough with my collaborator here to know what they are. So in a spirit of honor and education I want to give you a sense of why I am honored to call him a friend.

1) He has taught me to appreciate music of all sorts. Yes readers, I have limitations and snobbery is among them. Auditus has taught me that as far as popular music is concerned, there are no guilty pleasures. He has convinced me that a good song is a good song, even if the person who recorded it is a joke and the only reason it was released was to make a record label vast sums of cash. Now I can own up to liking Rick Astley (nice voice), the occasional hair band (Cinderella), and old school rap/hip-hop (NWA). But Auditus is not just about redeeming songs, he knows vast amounts of information about bands, instruments, producers, and all other such details so as to make the average fan mag covet his knowledge. I prostrate myself before the alter of music wisdom that is Auditus.

2) Auditus appreciates artistry of all sorts. Be it athletic grace, witty prose, or an insightful interview, Auditus knows why he likes particular public figures. Trust me here, watching the Daily Show is much more fun with Auditus in the room; one never learns so much as when he calls out the name of a particular rhetorical tactic while John Stewart takes apart another politician.

3) The value of animal companions is not lost of him. Whether one likes dogs, cats, snakes, or hamsters, Auditus understands. His own best (canine) friend is a model of civility and peacefulness, and to watch them together is to understand what thousands of years of human/animal collaboration has given to our society. Here are two beings attuned to each other’s needs and most comfortable in the other’s presence.

4) I learn something almost every time I talk to Auditus. This should not be a surprise to our readers, given that his deconstructions of political tactics and rhetorical strategies are worthy of graduate seminar lectures. However, if I have not said this before one reason that I do not offer as many political critiques as my blog partner is because I do not think that I can equal his insights.

5) The man is damn funny. Some folks are witty, some are humorous, but Auditus is hilarious. He can be sardonic, wry, silly, and withering, but in all cases his comments elicit smiles and laughter. There was one time a potential graduate student was staying with us and Auditus . . . oh never mind. I need not embarrass someone unable to defend himself, but I can say Auditus coined an expression on the spot and it still makes me chuckle. Let me just say that Auditus knows how to use humor.

There are many more flattering things I could say about Auditus, but this should convince you that he is deserving of your attention and my friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment